Thursday, February 19, 2009

29 Days of Giving

For awhile now I have been mulling over joining the 29 Day Giving Challenge (http://29gifts.org/ ). I heard about the challenge from Courtney's Healing Nest and thought that it would be an awesome way to get outside of myself. I notice, that as an introvert, I have the tendency to focus inwardly on my own self-care, and forget that there are many others around me who could surely benefit from a little TLC.

But perfectionism reared its ugly head and made me initially hesitate at joining this great cause. I could surely think of a few things I could do for people, but couldn't resonate with giving away "a smile," as being a valid gift. Sounds a lot like legalism, ya know, "if I'm gonna do it right I'm gonna go all the way", thinking. Where to stop, though, is the question. Would I feel justified enough if I gave away my car, all my $$ or all the food items in my cupboard?

I seemed to be missing the whole point of the challenge. And so today I signed up. But I signed up in my heart two days ago, venturing tentatively into this exciting adventure ahead. Already I'm excited about it. I keep thinking about tomorrow, and what I can do for someone else to make their day just a little brighter.

I encourage you to join in the fun. And while you're at it, stop by my page http://givingchallenge.ning.com/profile/Jenna26?xgs=1.


No comments: