Saturday, June 7, 2008

Sabbath

When I think of hummingbirds the image that comes to mind is fluttering and a constant flurry of activity. When I stand in front of the microwave tapping my foot impateintly I realize that America is definitely a culture of hummingbirds, whereas life in India was more of a culture of...(the image that came to mind was sloth, but that has a negative connotation and NOT one that I want to convey about my heartland)...it's just different there, slower and more relaxed.

So this week's topic in Inspire Me Thursday was hummingbird, and after playing around with hummingbird colors and not really liking what it produced, I went to Value Village and bought some old magazines (I have picked mine over again and again and am almost out of new things to add to my collage pile), and I came across a National Geographic (my favorite magazine EVER!)that had an article about hummingbirds. When I flipped it open there was this picture, of a hummingbird, just hanging out on a branch.

Ah, that picture of sweet rest made me take a few breaths and realize...it's okay that I haven't finished my cover letter or done any other work today. It's Saturday. It's okay for me to have a sabbath. I can collage and watch tv and hang out on my futon and not feel guilty. This is a good feeling.

2 comments:

Yarni Gras! said...

oh that is simply beautiful! BTW, thank you for leaving my sweet Curly Girl a comment. They really DO make her day and encourage her to keep on!
She is 10 years old and LOVES to sketch things and make things......so again, thank you!

carla said...

I enjoyed reading your post. It's true that American culture is very fast-paced... it gets pretty exhuasting sometimes! I like that you chose to depict the hummingbird sitiing still. It's a good message.